In the case of trees, the diameter of the mulching should be according to the dimensions of the tree to be treated, since the intention is to protect and improve the root system of the plant. And when we talk about the orchard, flowerpots, flowerpots and urban orchards, all the cultivated surface must be covered.
The padding has several functions:
- It maintains the humidity of the soil.
- It boosts microbial life, which facilitates the interaction between the plant and microorganisms.
- Reduces the spread of weeds.
- Stabilizes the temperature of the plant roots.
- Plant matter, whether compost, earthworm humus, dry grass, pine bark, semi-trimmed pruning remains, straw, etc., although the ideal is the combination of several of them, with which we will create the protection layer or padding itself.
- Microorganisms that will activate the soil and encourage plant development.
- Fertilizers: Nutrihemp and SuperMix, which will assure the plants the necessary nutrients.
- A hoe and a small or trident rake.
When to practice mulching or quilting:
Although we can practice it at any time, it is preferable to do it before the tree begins to sprout, so you will take better advantage of the contribution of nutrients that we will make and the improvement of the soil that will be produced thanks to microorganisms.
And when we refer to our garden, cultivation table, pots or planters the ideal moment is at the end of winter, just before starting the start of the crops and it would also be convenient to repeat it at the end of summer if we do winter cultivation.
Steps to follow:
- In the first place we remove any weeds and decompact the soil a little with the help of a hoe, leaving the soil loose so that the materials and supplements that we are going to provide can penetrate better.
- Add the vegetable matter and distribute it well so that the padding is between 10 and 15 cm thick.
- We add the microorganisms, which will facilitate the decomposition of the organic matter of the soil and will facilitate to the plant the absorption of nutrients and minerals.
- We add the nutrients that the tree will need to develop throughout the year.
- With the help of a rake or a grower we bury the microorganisms and fertilizers we have added.
- We water.
Quilted with stones and conventional with vegetable remains. The stones ensure greater thermal stability and collect the dew. Plant remains provide nutrients to the soil. Both systems help to control weeds.
Alternative padding systems
There are other types of quilts, which are not less common and therefore less effective.
On the one hand we have the fertilizer-free quilting that is used in the ecological orchard method of the Crestall de Gaspar Caballero stops, with a growing implementation. In this case the padding consists of a superficial layer of humus of about 15 cm.
On the other hand we have the aesthetic quilts made with stones. In this case the mulching, although inert, also fulfills several functions:
- It reduces the spread of weeds.
- The stones absorb the sun’s heat during the day and gradually transmit it to the roots even during the night, avoiding overheating and always ensuring a very suitable soil temperature.
- The stones also collect the moisture from the dew and transmit it to the plant.
In Horticultor.es we put to your reach the ecological products and necessary advices for your health and that of your crops.